Who We Are
Seated L-R: Bernie and Judy Malloy / Standing L-R: Cory and Shane Malloy and Mike Cook
is a “hands on” contractor with over 35 years of experience with a talent for innovative ideas and problem solving. He has orchestrated and supervised projects as diverse as office buildings, land developments, multi-million dollar homes, and a major reconstruction effort in St. Thomas following hurricane Marilyn.
• Long before a shovel breaks ground, Bernie is able to build the new home in his head using his ability to thoroughly understand the complexity of the building process.
Through pre-construction meetings with our trades-people he is often able to resolve issues before they become problems.
"Each custom home brings its own challenges and rewards. Thinking and working through issues, whether they be design, structural or site driven and helping people create their dream home is very rewarding. That reward is what drives us."
uses her accounting degree to supervise the company’s financial and administrative matters.
• Additionally, the experience gained as a member of the board of directors for several non-profit organizations including The American Red Cross, aides her in her vision of the 'big picture' and in developing long term goals for the business.
“Brightleaf has never been just about the destination: it has also been about the journey to get there. That philosophy has earned us the reputation that we enjoy today.”
graduated from the State University of New York with a degree in business management. He realized though, that building was where his heart was. Cory joined Brightleaf Development in 1998. He is the Managing Partner for Brightleaf Customer Care, our division for renovations, home repair and maintenance.
• He has earned the prestigious North Carolina Builder Institute’s Master Builder accreditation. To earn this designation he completed over 112 credit hours of classroom instruction which included topics in: Building Codes, Construction Techniques, Blue Print Reading, Contract & Legal Issues and many more. He is also required to take continuing education courses yearly to maintain his Master Builder status.
“Quality starts with a solid foundation of experience, consistency and trust.”
joined our team in 2008. After nearly seven years of living in Europe he also realized that “home” is where his heart is. As Project Manager, Shane is both ‘boots on the ground as well as information in the cloud’. Whether the homeowner is from across town or across the country his continual updates, emails, photos and face-to-face or web meetings guide the homeowners through the process of building a truly custom home.
• He also brings to Brightleaf Development his communications background, including his ability to speak Spanish and German.
• Shane has earned his certificate for Advanced Green Building through the National Assoc. of Home Builders (NAHB) and the National Green Building Conference. He is the force behind Brightleaf’s (Federal) Energy Star and (North Carolina) Healthy Built Home certifications.
“Building a custom home should be an exciting opportunity and not a daunting task. Listening, open communication and easy, manageable steps through the decision making process are what make the difference.”
a job supervisor with over twenty years experience in the building industry, is a Journeyman Carpenter, Trim Specialist and overall Handyman. He skillfully supervises sub-contractors, while easily relating and listening to the need of our clients.
“Figuring out the puzzle and finding creative solutions is one of the more rewarding things we do”